Witches: Redlands (5 Points)

 The general consensus of the representation of a witch is that they have that bad bitch mentality. Now let me explain.


In Redlands, throughout the five volumes, the common message that was shown was the embodiment of strong women while still showing their trauma and weakness and how that affected their lives and mentality. The comic continuously portray women being sought after and treated solely as a sexual object, which can correlate to a common trope that witches are inherently evil sexual deviants that men can’t touch. This image of a sexy powerful woman is spiritually attuned who and scare men became a very important figure in feminism even to the present day. This character that threatens a patriarchal society is not just a sexual object to be used and isn’t deemed a slut if she indulges sexual activity and helped many women learn more about their sexuality.


From what I know, the artist and author of the comic are women so I think they used their comic to show what women go through and how mentally damaging it can be, or even violent. This story is obviously to show a story about women from women, but as a trans male regardless of how I identify or present, whatever society perceives me as is how they will treat me, and usually the case for many pre-med trans people. Just because I identify as male, doesn’t mean I don’t go through misogyny, but on the other hand, because I identify as male I can’t speak for those who do identify as women and who claim their femininity and womanhood and speak about their full experience as a woman. But reading this comic, I was terrified for these women as I was able to imagine the fear I would have been in their positions. The fears that they had were fears I have myself, such as men taking advantage of you or making unwanted sexual advances. This was an interesting take on horror as even though the context wasn’t necessarily realistic, as there were witches and mystical creatures, the problems and subjects were things that happened in the real world all the time.

Comments

Popular Posts