The New Weird: Annihilation (6 Points)

 This will be my first time going off prompt, but Annihilation was definitely a weird story. Not to be redundant but it’s honestly very hard to say how it made me feel besides how weird it made me feel. I was confused the whole ride and as the reader, you’re basically put into this third-person omniscient point of view being able to hear the inner thoughts of the biologist thus having about the same amount of information she does or has gathered. The reader nor the biologist haven’t been given much context of Area X so we are literally taken on this journey with her. I loved how descriptive this book was and how much into detail Jeff VanderMeer goes into all senses. 



“The Salem Horror” A Cthulu Mythos Story by Henry Katner

I listened to this, but honestly, I don’t remember it anymore oops haha


Cabin in the Woods (2011)

I watched this movie last school year with my friend not knowing anything about it thinking it was a legitimate horror movie, and honestly ultimately ending up very disappointed in it. I was bizarrely confused by the events unfolding not knowing I was supposed to laugh or not, but even after finding out it was supposed to be a weird parody I still didn’t even find it entertaining in the slightest.


Get Out (2017)

Now this movie, still amazing. I remember watching it when it first came out and really enjoying the plot and social commentary, as it really got my heart racing wondering what’ll happen next. Even though I didn’t expect it to take such a weird and unexpected route of mind swapping due to the movie being overall realistic and believable. Rewatching it a second time knowing the outcome, the little intricacies and details Jordan Peele put into there seeming to be a plot twist all along was so throughout and the double meanings of certain scenes like the deer accident in the beginning and then later our main character staring at a dear head on the wall, as well as him picking out the cotton from the chair the free himself *chef kiss* Peele was a genius for these.


Comments

Popular Posts